Between freedom and progress : the lost world of Reconstruction politics / David Prior.
"Between Freedom and Progress recovers and analyzes the global imaginings of Reconstruction's partisans--those who struggled over and with Reconstruction--as they vied with one another to define the nature of their country after the Civil War. The remarkable technological and commercial tr...
Baton Rouge :
Louisiana State University Press,
- Introduction : Reconstruction's partisan world
- Contested sympathy for the Cretans
- Paul Du Chaillu, a white supremacist in passing
- From North and South to east and west
- "Our papers"
- Mormon Utah, the blossoming plague-spot.