Sex, drugs, and body counts : the politics of numbers in global crime and conflict / edited by Peter Andreas and Kelly M. Greenhill.
""Sex, Drugs, and Body Counts is terrific. It demonstrates that quantitative misrepresentation is not an idiosyncratic problem but one that is widespread and often detrimental. The authors make sense of the numbers that are thrown around so liberally by interested parties and which so ofte...
Ithaca, N.Y. :
Cornell University Press,
- Introduction : the politics of numbers / Peter Andreas and Kelly M. Greenhill
- The politics of measuring illicit flows and policy effectiveness / Peter Andreas
- Trafficking in numbers : the social construction of human trafficking data / David A. Feingold
- Numbers and certification : assessing foreign compliance in combating narcotics and human trafficking / H. Richard Friman
- The illusiveness of counting "victims" and the concreteness of ranking countries : trafficking in persons from Colombia to Japan / Kay B. Warren
- Counting the cost : the politics of numbers in armed conflict / Kelly M. Greenhill
- Research and repercussions of death tolls : the case of the Bosnian book of the dead / Lara J. Nettelfield
- The ambiguous genocide : the U.S. State Department and the death toll in Darfur / John Hagan and Wenona Rymond-Richmond
- Accounting for absence : the Colombian paramilitaries in U.S. policy debates / Winifred Tate
- (Mis)measuring success in countering the financing of terrorism / Sue E. Eckert and Thomas J. Biersteker
- Conclusion : the numbers in politics / Peter Andreas and Kelly M. Greenhill.