State crisis in fragile democracies : polarization and political regimes in South America / Samuel Handlin.
This book offers a novel political-institutional explanation for variation in political polarization, outsider populism, and the fate of democratic regimes across twenty-first-century South America. Drawing upon a wealth of primary evidence and employing process tracing tests to evaluate key causal...
Cambridge University Press,
- State crises, the left, and democracy in contemporary South America
- Explaining divergent party system trajectories and regime dynamics
- Venezuela : development of a highly polarizing party system
- Brazil : development of a weakly polarizing party system
- Democratic erosion in Venezuela, representative democracy in Brazil
- Bolivia and Ecuador : high polarization and democratic erosion
- Chile and Uruguay : low polarization and representative democracy
- Paraguay and Peru : low polarization and polyarchy
- Longer-term legacies and comparative perspectives around the world
- Appendix A: Operationalization of state crisis and left-wing infrastructure
- Appendix B: Operationalization of polarization and regime categories.