The birth of the Euro / Otmar Issing ; translated from the original German by Nigel Hulbert.
Today, 318 million people in 15 countries use the Euro, which now rivals the importance of the US Dollar in the world economy. This is an outcome that few would have predicted with confidence when the Euro was launched. How can we explain this success and what are the prospects for the future? There...
Cambridge University Press,
- 1. The euro in 2008
- 2. Historical background : The rocky road to monetary union ; The decision in Maastricht ; The convergence process ; Farewell to the national currencies ; The countdown begins ; The euro area
- 3. The ECB and the foundations of monetary policy : The statute ; The decision-making bodies ; Preparations for the single monetary policy ; Monetary policy options ; The ECB's stability-oriented monetary policy strategy ; The instruments of monetary policy
- 4. The ECB : monetary policy for a stable euro : Orientations in the ECB Governing Council ; Assuming responsibility for monetary policy ; Monetary policy success: a stable euro ; Monetary policy-making in the ECB Governing Council ; Transparency, communication, accountability ; Monetary policy and the exchange rate ; The euro as an international currency ; Economic theory and monetary policy practice
- 5. The central bank and monetary policy in the EMU framework : Fiscal and monetary policy in EMU ; Policy coordination in EMU ; Does one size fit all? ; The enlargement of the euro area ; Monetary union without political union?
- 6. Europe at the crossroads.