The social world of early modern Westminster : abbey, court and community, 1525-1640 / J.F. Merritt.
"Early modern Westminster is familiar as the location of the Royal Court at Whitehall, parliament, the law courts and the emerging West End, yet it has never been studied in its own right. This book is the first study to provide an integrated picture of the town during this crucial period in it...
Manchester University Press,
|Series:||Politics, culture, and society in early modern Britain.
- Introduction : rediscovering early modern Westminster
- Henrician Westminster : corporate life in a time of change, 1525-47
- The impact of the Reformation in Westminster 1547-62
- Town, cloister and crown
- Parish elites
- The rise of a fashionable society
- Space and urban identities
- The Westminster Court of Burgesses : neighbourhood, disorder and urban expansion
- Poverty, plague and the politics of communal responsibility
- Religious life and religious politics c.1558-1640.