Pathways : - a study of six post-communist countries.
Political and economic developments after the implosion of the Sovjet Union have not been easy, nor have outcomes been similar. In this book the different trajectories of political development in post-communist countries are traced through cases from within the post-communist region that exhibit max...
Santa Barbara :
Aarhus University Press,
- Front Matter; Front Cover; Title Page; Copyright Page; Contents; Preface; Chapter 1. After the Wall; Pertinent theory; The quadruple challenge; The beauty of maximising variation; References; Chapter 2. Co-optation and control; Political development: semi-authoritarianism and elite fragmentation; State building: compartmentalisation and corruption; Nation building: multiethnicity and sub-ethnicity; Economic transformation; Internationalisation: liberalisation and multi-vector foreign policy; Conclusions; References; Chapter 3. Shevardnadze's political strategies; Setting the scene.
- Stabilisation: the first three stepsIn the grey zone: power strategies; The well dries up; The collapse and the Rose Revolution; References; Chapter 4. Understanding politics in Estonia; Tutelary transition; Imperatives for tutelary transition; Economic reform and shock therapy; Political development; Electoral competition; State building and European Union accession; Minority integration and nation building; Willing subjects?; Conclusion; References; Chapter 5. Understanding politics in Slovenia; Historical legacies and the democratisation process; Corporatism and division of power.
- The modernisation processes of theSlovenian state administration; Slovenian politico-administrative relations: who holds the keys?; Conclusion; References; Chapter 6. Democracy or deficiency?; The framework for party politics; Political malaise?; Civil society; Foreign policy and international influence; Conclusion; References; Chapter 7. Breaking with post-communism in Poland; Party structures; State structures; Impact of Europeanisation; Towards enhanced democratic governance?; References; Chapter 8. Keys to transition and paths leading beyond; A pocketful of keys.
- Combining elite keys to understanding transitions
- consensus and inclusivenessReferences; Biographies.