Multinational corporations and organization theory : post millennium perspectives / edited by Christoph Dörrenbächer, Mike Geppert.
This volume covers a range of on-going and newly emerging debates in the study of multinational companies (MNCs). A key aim is to consolidate and make available in one place new conceptual, methodological and critical MNC research.
|Series:||Research in the sociology of organizations ;
v. 49. |
- Cover; Multinational Corporations and Organization Theory: Post Millennium Perspectives; Copyright Page; Contents; List of Figures; List of Tables; List of Contributors; Editorial Advisory Board; Acknowledgments; Preface; References; Part I Setting the Scene; Multinational Corporations and Organization Theory: An Introduction to Post-Millennium Perspectives; Abstract; Setting the Scene: An Illustrative Case Example; Previous Studies; Developments in the World of the MNC; Theoretical Developments in IB; Theoretical Developments in OT; Overview of the Volume; Conclusion; Notes; References
- The East India Company: The First Modern Multinational?Abstract; Introduction; The East India Company; Foundations; Competition and Containment; Alliances; Strategy and Public Policy; The East India Company and Its Shifting Mandate; Changing Contexts; Power, Legitimacy, Resources and Centrality in the East India Company's Strategy; Exploiting New Business Opportunities; Comparative Political Advantage; Comparative Military Advantage; Comparative Efficiency Advantage; Comparative Institutional Advantage; The End of the East India Company
- What Can We Learn from the East India Company about MNCs?Conclusion; Notes; References; Part II Further Development of Established Debates; The Role of Headquarters in the Contemporary MNC: A Contingency Model; Abstract; Introduction; The Established Literature on MNC Organizational Design; HQ-Subsidiary Relationship Literature; Subsidiary-Level, Network Perspective Literature; Recent Literature on the Role of HQ in the Contemporary MNC; A Proposed Framework for Understanding the Role of HQ in Contemporary MNCs; Conclusion; References
- Between Local Mooring and Global Orientation: A Neo-Institutional Theory Perspective on the Contemporary Multinational Corporation☆Abstract; Introduction; Taking the Organization Seriously; Problematizing the MNC as Analytical Category; The Globally Oriented Organization: A Proposed Re-Conceptualization; Taking Neo-Institutional Analysis Seriously; Shortcomings of Previous Applications of Neo-Institutional Theory; Toward an Informed Neo-Institutional Analysis; Future Research Agenda; References
- What the Shared Industry and Country of Origin Bring: Analogous Sequences in the Internationalization of Finnish Paper MNCsAbstract; Introduction; The Interplay between Country-of-Origin and Sectoral Effects on MNCs; Research Object and Method; Research Design; Data Collection; Analysis; Main Characteristics of the Internationalization Process of the Finnish Paper Companies, 1993-2008; The Interaction between MNCs and Their External Constituents as a Source of Cross-Organizational Conformity; The Early Internationalization; Large-Scale Mergers and Acquisitions