Heaven's soldiers free people of color and the Spanish legacy in antebellum Florida / Frank Marotti.
University of Alabama Press,
Free African Americans > Legal status, laws, etc. > Florida > Saint Johns County > History > 19th century.
Table of Contents:
- Looking backward and forward
- The 1820s : anxious optimism
- The 1830s : manumission, property, and family
- The Second Seminole War
- Restricted manumission, migrations, and antimiscegenation
- Preserving Spanish days : marriage and manumission
- The black martial heritage
- Land, paternalism, and laws.