Television myth and the American mind / Hal Himmelstein.
Westport, Conn. :
Table of Contents:
- Television myth and the American mind
- The biz: Caution! Mythmakers at work
- Advertising: the medium is the mirage
- TV comedy and contemporary life: Mayfield, Mayberry, Minneapolis, and Manhattan
- Television's social comedies
- Television melodrama
- Television news and the television documentary
- Live TV: sport and the TV event
- TV religion and the TV game show: the great American dream in the late twentieth century
- The TV talk show: commodifying the individual psyche
- Toward an oppositional television.