Rebels on the border : Civil War, emancipation, and the reconstruction of Kentucky and Missouri / Aaron Astor.
Baton Rouge :
Louisiana State University Press,
Table of Contents:
- Building the western middle ground
- In defense of slavery and union
- Rebels in black and white
- Holding Kentucky and Missouri for the union
- Dual rebellion and the death of conservative unionism
- Black soldiers and regulator violence
- The perils and promise of self-reconstruction
- Remaking the white man's democracy
- Black suffrage and the new political order.