A secession crisis enigma : William Henry Hurlbert and "The diary of a public man" / Daniel W. Crofts.
Baton Rouge :
Louisiana State University Press,
Table of Contents:
- Deciphering "The diary of a public man"
- Proving who wrote the diary
- Young Hurlbert
- Hurlbert the journalist
- Hurlbert and the secession crisis
- A fiction nothing more nor less?
- The Lincoln interviews
- Hurlbert and Ward
- Promoting the diary
- Hurlbert and the world
- Connecting past and present
- Scandal and summation
- Epilogue: "The diary of a public man" and the Lincoln legend
- Appendix: the text of "The diary of a public man."