Boys in children's literature and popular culture : masculinity, abjection, and the fictional child / Annette Wannamaker.
New York :
|Series:||Children's literature and culture
Table of Contents:
- Prologue : the rhetoric of the current "boy crisis"
- Introduction : beyond stereotypes and role models : the abject and the American boy
- Me Tarzan, you other : the evolution of an icon
- Reading in the gaps and lacks : (de)constructing masculinity in Louis Sachar's Holes
- "The battle of the Bionic Booger Boy," bodily borders, and B.A.D. boys : pleasure and abjection in the Captain Underpants series
- And Majin Buu said, "I'll eat you up!" : consuming Japanese cultural imports
- Men in cloaks and high-heeled boots, men wielding pink umbrellas : witchy masculinities in the Harry Potter novels
- Conclusion : marking masculinity.