Inside city schools : investigating literacy in multicultural classrooms / Sarah Warshauer Freedman ... [et al.] ; foreword by Sonia Nieto.
New York :
Teachers College Press,
|Series:||The practitioner inquiry series.
Table of Contents:
- pt. 1. Setting the context for M-CLASS (Multicultural collaborative for Literacy and Secondary Schools). Introducing M-CLASS / Sarah Warshauer Freedman ; The M-CLASS approach to teacher research / Sarah Warshauer Freedman
- pt. 2. Seeing beyond stereotypes: looking across boundaries of race, ethnicity, gender, class, and generation. Overview / Sarah Warshauer Freedman ; "And justice for all": using writing and literature to confront racism / Griselle M. Diaz-Gemmati ; What I'd tell a white gal: what my black male students taught me about race and schooling / Eileen Shakespear ; What teacher researchers say about seeing beyond stereotypes / Sarah Warshauer Freedman ... [et al.]
- pt. 3. Constructing an inclusive curriculum: talking explicitly about race and ethnicity. Overview / Elizabeth Radin Simons ; A question of fairness: using writing and literature to expand ethnic identity and understand marginality / Deborah Archuleta Juarez ; "Yes, girl, you understand": history logs and the building of multicultural empathy / Karen Alford ; Diversifying curriculum in multicultural classrooms: "You can't be what you can't see" / Elizabeth Radin Simons ... [et al.]
- pt. 4 . Constructing an empowering curriculum: achieving high standards. Overview / Julie Shalhope Kalnin ; Writing correctness and the second-language student / Ann Lew ; We soar together: studying literature in a heterogeneous classroom / Verda Delp ; What teacher researchers say about creating communities of achievement: empowerment in and beyond the classroom / Julie Shalhope Kalnin ... [et al.]
- pt. 5. Implications for practice and research. Learning from M-CLASS: thoughts for the future / Julie Shalhope Kalnin ... [et al.].