Democracy without associations : transformation of the party system and social cleavages in India / Pradeep K. Chhibber.
Ann Arbor :
University of Michigan Press,
|Series:||Interests, identities, and institutions in comparative politics
Table of Contents:
- State structures, associational life, and the social basis of party systems
- Central, state, and local governments in India
- Electoral laws, associations, and the organization of the Catchall Congress Party
- Electoral competition and the growth of central intervention in the states
- Building coalitions in the Indian States
- From a Catchall to a cleavage-based party system in an Indian State : Uttar Pradesh
- State policy, party politics, and the rise of the BJP
- The centrality of parties to Indian politics : the politics of economic reform and collective violence
- Forming links between social cleavages and party systems : Algeria and Spain
- Conclusion : rethinking party systems and social cleavages.