Table of Contents:
- What is phonics and why is it such a controversial topic?
- How readers and writers use phonics
- How have changes in literacy instruction influenced the teaching of phonics?
- Finding the balance: systematic, intensive, code-driven phonics versus holistic, embedded, meaning-driven approaches
- Learning phonics: strategies that support beginning readers and writers
- Shaping curriculum: instruction and assessment
- Articulating the phonics program to parents and the community.