The web of conspiracy; the complete story of the men who murdered Abraham Lincoln.
Errata slip inserted. Bibliography: p. -549.
Englewood Cliffs, N.J.,
Table of Contents:
- I. Design for murder : Stage set for murder ; Enter John Wilkes Booth ; The conspirators ; To kidnap or to kill ; The tragedy ; Conspirators amuck
- II. Exeunt assassins : Booth rides ; Escape ; The trail to Dr. Mudd's ; The barn is locked ; Manhunt on a checkrein ; Zekiah Swamps underground
- III. Pursuit and capture : First catch ; Atzerodt is arrested ; The paper dragnet ; Family album and rogues' gallery ; Cherchez la femme ; Invasion of Lilliput
- IV. Dead end : The road to Garrett's farm ; The shooting at Garrett's farm ; A body is buried
- V. Conspiracy is tried : "Court of death" ; Verdict and execution ; War Department confidential ; Curtain call
- Appendix : A. Booth's "To Whom It May Concern" letter ; B. Official statement of Maj. Henry R. Rathbone ; C. Louis Wiechmann's initial police statement ; D. Dr. Mudd's statement ; E. Dr. R.H. Stewart's statement ; F. Boston Corbett's official statement ; G. Rewards.